Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Work, Work, Work again........

I thought I would put Friday, Saturday, and Sunday together because I have a pretty regular routine. I haven't figured out a way to squeeze a whole lot of fitness into the am hours; I know in advance I will be on my feet walking on concrete for the better part of the 13 hours.....

I get up at 0430, shower, hop in the car, and battle for 45-60 min the stress-laden journey known as I-95/I-395. Anyway, I always try to take a watered down quart of 1/2 tea/1/2 lemonade, some fruit, or maybe a health bar.

I usually have 1-2 packages of low sugar instant oatmeal before I get cranked up. I usually try and eat some fruit or a half of a turkey/wheat sandwich around 1100. I am not kidding when I say I don't even sit down to eat nowadays. I do try and drink a few cups of water if given the chance.

Lunch is almost always a spinach salad, I'll put carrots, mushrooms, olives, and maybe some pieces of chicken breast if available. I dig the colors.....no dressing except a little EVO. Note, I work in a hospital, a good hospital but..... the only healthy thing to eat there is salad and fruit.
Kinda sad, huh?

Dinner is at home, but I sneak some fruit or turkey around 6 before the last crazy 1-2 hours.
Home has a planned menu, but always some veggies first so I don't pig out on the main dish.
This weekend was almost all veggies, but we had salmon and kashi rice on Sunday. Delicious.

I don't dessert, but if I have a craving, I'll eat a bowl of cereal like kashi crunch, or frosted mini-wheats (maple/brown sugar). I drink a lot of tea, but now I use an old chemistry trick. I make 2 gallons of tea, both with 1 measured cup of sugar. I leave 1 in the back of the frig, and by the next day it is sweeter because it saturated more. A treat without the calories.

Just like groundhog day, this is repeated most of the work days. As for exercise, I have a pedometer to measure my day. Friday was rough, 8.1 miles. Saturday was easier, 5.3 miles. Sunday was a break, only 3.8 miles. I work on a concrete floor, so I have sore knees and legs when I get home. Stretch, shower, and stretch some more.....or I pay for it.

I realize you aren't suppose to count the work mileage, but the people who tell you never worked in a plant making tires or my 48 bed Cardiac Unit. It is always a long weekend.........

No comments: